In these notebook entries, I share a few things that I hope you’ll enjoy:
- recent events in the areas of high-performance teams and agile software development
- a curated list of upcoming events
- a request for help to share my class on high-performance teams in your part of the world
- and more
Recent events: positive bias
It seems like everyone has high-performance teams on their mind. Just this morning, I had a great conversation with a young army veteran who had led teams. He said he experienced some incredibly bad teams during his stint in the army. The teams were toxic. They were run by bullying and negativity. His team leaders complained about everything that was the slightest bit wrong. They complained about the army in general, never pointing out anything that was working well for them. They bullied and belittled, barked orders, berated, shamed and embarrassed their people.
I use the term positive bias to describe the mindset and behaviors this young leader modeled for his teams. Positive bias is the foundation of high-performance teams. A client company that I’m coaching uses the phrase “assume positive intent” to guide people’s interactions with each other. It’s the foundation of this company’s culture. With positive bias as their foundation, thousands of coworkers support each other and create awesome software together. If positive bias is the only thing you practice together as a team, you’ll be better off.
What is the best team you’ve ever been a member of? What are some examples of positive bias in your best team?
Curated list of upcoming events
- Charles River CoderDojo for kids, Summer 2017 sessions. Register here.
- Agile Software Development, June 19 – July 6 at Harvard University Summer School. Register here.
- Something about Love: Awesome Relationships Fueled by Love, July 16 at Heartspace Teachings in San Jose.
- High-performance Teams: Culture and Core Protocols, half-day Great Teams Academy class preceding Agile2017, August 6 in Orlando. Register here.
- High-performance Teams: Culture and Core Protocols, August 8 at Agile2017 in Orlando. Register here.
- High-performance Teams: Culture and Core Protocols, full-day Great Teams Academy class preceding ALE2017, August 25 in Prague. Register here.
- Agile Software Development, August 28 – December 18 at Harvard University Extension School. Register here.
- Agile Dojo, monthly workshop at Agile New England, September 7.
- High-performance Teams: Culture and Core Protocols, 4-hour session September 28 at GGCon2017 in Paris.
- High-performance Teams: Culture and Core Protocols, October 3 at Agile RTP.
Request for help
I want to share the goodness of high-performance teams in your part of the world. Friends in Europe, I’ll be at ALE2017 in Prague August 25-28. Friends in North America, I’ll be at Agile2017 in Orlando in August, at Agile RTP in October, and around Boston most of the rest of the time.
Want me to visit your part of the world while I’m nearby? Just ask—I’d love to visit and share a class with your team or at your event.
With Great People